About the book, from Macmillan:
“Prince Kiem, a famously disappointing minor royal and the Emperor’s least favorite grandchild has been called upon to be useful for once. He’s commanded to fulfill an obligation of marriage to the representative of the Empire’s newest and most rebellious vassal planet. His future husband, Count Jainan, is a widower and murder suspect.
Neither wants to be wed, but with a conspiracy unfolding around them and the fate of the empire at stake they will have to navigate the thorns and barbs of court intrigue, the machinations of war, and the long shadows of Jainan’s past, and they’ll have to do it together.
So begins a legendary love story amid the stars.”
About the Author, Everina Maxwell:
“Everina Maxwell is the author of Winter’s Orbit, a queer romantic space opera about a diplomat who enters into an arranged marriage to save his planet.
She grew up in Sussex, UK, which has come a long way from the days of Cold Comfort Farm and now has things like running water and Brighton Pier. She was lucky enough to live near a library that stocked Lois McMaster Bujold, Anne McCaffrey and Terry Pratchett, so spent all her spare time devouring science fiction and doorstopper fantasy, with her family’s Georgette Heyer collection always a reliable friend when the library books ran out.
She first took part in NaNoWriMo in 2004 and continues to precariously balance writing, a day job, and watching Let’s Plays of video games she claims she doesn’t have time to play. She lives and works in Yorkshire.”
Why I selected Winter’s Orbit for the January 2023 Giveaway:
- This story has some very chilly and wintery scenes, so it’s a perfect book to help us stay in the “winter spirit” here in Tucson 🙂
- The two main characters have great chemistry but are also frustratingly obtuse about their feelings. This dynamic makes for some interesting miscommunications that help drive the plot.
- This book includes wonderful queer representation with a really unique system for gender representation – this gnome would love to see more of this kind of acceptance and normalization out there in the world (not just in science fiction)!
- The author does an amazing job building a new world and setting the stage for a story that includes intricate political intrigue AND a very sweet romance. I can’t wait to see what happens in this world in the second book, Ocean’s Echo.
- Finally, I realized that I hadn’t shared any science fiction stories yet, which seems crazy since I love science fiction! So, I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did ❤